Use any of these recipes to season one pound of ground meat. They are best when mixed into your meat one day ahead, but still very good added right before cooking. Use the seasoned meat for meatballs, patties, frittattas etc. I’ve made a few suggestions about what type of meat to try, but there are no hard, fast rules so feel free to use what you have, what’s on sale, or what you’re in the mood for.
Extra-fresh Thai Herb Mix
Inspired by this recipe. Try with chicken or pork.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- serrano pepper, minced
- zest of one lime
- 2T gluten-free fish sauce (such as Thai Kitchen brand)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) basil leaves, coarsely chopped
Lemony Souvlaki Seasoning
Inspired by this recipe. Try chicken or tuna.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 cloves chopped garlic, mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leafed parsley, chopped
Adapted from this recipe. Try with pork.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Adapted from this recipe. Try pork or beef.
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
1 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes